Friday, February 27, 2009

Blueberry Pie!


Blueberry Pie

I am sorry I’ve been gone for a couple of weeks. I got hit with minor food poisoning from, of all things, PINE NUTS! More about that later. The other thing was the darn FACEBOOK. All these people I went to elementary school, middle school, and high school with in Southfield, Michigan found me on there. I have been trippin’ and going back to memory lane for a few days. But if anyone from Do Re Mi pre-school and elementary school in Detroit, Michigan find me, I’m going to pass out!

Blueberry Pie from Incredibly Delicious
Crust
¼ cup dates, pitted and soaked
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup almonds

Filling
2-3 bananas
1 lb blueberries, fresh or frozen ( I used fresh)
½ cup dates pitted


Blend the crust ingredients in FP using the “S” blade. Pat mixture into bottom and sides of a pie plate, forming a crust. Press hard. Slice 1-2 bananas into ¼” rounds. (I only needed one banana). Cover the bottom and sides of the crust with slices. Blend one cup of blueberries with ½ to one banana and ½ cup of dates in an FP. Mix in the remaining blueberries (whole). Pour into pie shell. Chill and serve.

And I’m happy to report the filling stayed together and didn’t fall apart like the strawberry pie!
Good stuff.

Eggplant Pizza
I was terribly disappointed that I am allergic to pine nuts. These eggplant pizzas don’t look like much. They don’t photograph well. But damn, they taste phenomenal. The topping is good enough to eat right out of the food processor, which is what I did, many, many times. I was ready to put the filling in a nori roll and eat it without the eggplant. Since me and pine nuts are no longer friends, I'm going to come up with a new "cheese" substitute and post that recipe.

I made this on a Thursday, and had the leftovers on Saturday morning. By Saturday afternoon, I had the WORST taste in my mouth. Everything tasted bitter and disgusting. I mean everything…apple juice, fruit, it didn’t matter. The horrible metallic, bitter taste would not go away. By Saturday night, I panicked a little bit. I googled “bitter taste” and all the sites were telling me I had cancer.

After getting freaked out even more, I finally googled, “everything tastes bitter.” This site came up: http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/60#comment-323. Finally, there was my answer. Apparently, pine nuts from China are causing an allergic reaction in some people.
Activated charcoal did the trick. (Thank you to my friends at Mystickal Voyage.) I took 2 capsules at 4:00pm. By Tuesday night, the bitter taste was gone, and I physically felt much better. My other symptoms were exhaustion, stuffy nose, headache, and just feeling all-around crappy.
But I am good now. And I have some good news. I got my Ann Wigmore Home Study program, and I’m drinking wheatgrass. I took some pictures, and that will be my next post.

Until then,
Love,
Althea



Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

TheWriterStuff said...

Sorry you got food poisoning. I had a brief bout myself recently and it wasn't pretty. You might want to try cashews. I've seen it used often as a cheese substitute in raw recipes.

Unknown said...

I agree, cashews make awesome cheese... There is a great nacho cheese dip on the Raw Freedom Community that I use ALL of the time! I sometimes get that bitter taste and my sense of smell gets all messed up, I have never considered a food allergy.. I'll have to try acivated charcoal next-time, as it lasts for days and is a huge pain in the...(the pie looks delish, I will have to wait until I get back to the states as Blueberries are so expensive here!)

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hello! I came across your blog from Blog Catalog.

That blueberry pie looks amazing. I love recipes that are simple, and that one looks like it fits the bill. I'm going to have to try it soon!

thom Vernon said...

Althea! I love the Blueberry Pie...so did everyone else. I used some xanthum gum in it but one could use Kudzu too. I like a thick, "meaty" pie. Tonight, I'm making the same pie but with peaches which are coming in hard and fast up here (Toronto) as the season sprints to Fall. Thank you for your blog!
thom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails