Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Five Raw Vegan Dishes


Raw Apple Crisp


Here's some things I've made or tried recently. There's no rhyme nor reason. Just sharing because they were all delicious!

Raw Apple Crisp Redux 2
From my Raw Mocha Angel Class: I've shared this on the blog before. Winners must be shared often :-).

8 apples cubed & peeled
½ cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch to ¼ teaspoon cardamom
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mix the spices together and pour over the apples. Let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.

Icing
4 cups of cashews
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons agave nectar
Water JUST TO THE TOP of the cashews.
Blend until smooth. You want it creamy and THICK.
Top the apples with your favorite raw granola. Put the icing on top of that and you've got one heck of a dessert.

Shredded Beet, Apple, and Currant Salad with Apple Vinaigrette

This is from Byrant Terry's Vegan Soul Kitchen, which I will review this month. What I loved was the apple vinaigrette. I'd never tasted one before. It's a versatile salad dressing that can also go with an leafy green. Will share more along with the review!


Blood
From Juliano’s RAW, I give you BLOOD. Even if you don’t like beets, I think you should give this a try.
2 lbs apples (about 5-6 apples)
1 piece of ginger, about 2 tablespoons, unpeeled
½ cup beet
¼ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice (I used lemon juice)
Juice all ingredients.
Juliano says to let it chill in the fridge. I couldn’t wait that long. It’s fabulous.

Apple Maple Crepes
These are adapted from Monique Bastien's Have Your Cake and Eat it Too!
In the book they are Apple Filled Hazelnut Crepes, but I didn't have hazelnuts. Here is my version:

Crêpes
5 bananas
Peel bananas and blend in a food processor until smooth. Pour onto teflex sheet and place in your dehydrator at 105°F for 12-14 hrs. Flip half way through. When crêpes are done remove from dehydrator. Place on cutting board and cut into three long trips. Take each of these strips and cut them each in half. You should have 6 strips.

Apple Maple Filling
½ cup raw coconut butter
8 cups peeled, cored and sliced
Granny Smith apples
½ cup organic maple syrup
cinnamon for dusting

Place coconut butter and maple syrup in your food processor and process until smooth. Add apples and pulse chop 6-7 times. Place filling inside and roll up. Dust with cinnamon.
Applesauce
2 apples, peeled and chopped
maple syrup
water
I made this up on the fly. I didn't measure the maple syrup. I added enough until the sauce was sweet enough to me. Add enough water to make it thinner than applesauce. Make it more like a syrup. Top the crepes with this sauce, and ENJOY!

Chocolate Truffles
I wish I could say I made these lovely dark chocolate beauties. The truth is I bought them from my friend Michael. He sold me ten truffles for $1 each. If you are in the Baltimore area, and would like his contact info, send me an email at mochaangels@aol.com.

Up next: Book review + giveaway!

Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Iris said...

Such beautiful looking food!

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

I wish I lived in Baltimore because those truffles look heavenly. And I'm definitely going to have to try the apple crisp. Apples are cheap here at one of the grocery stores this week so I need to stock up... and then find a way to use them all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails