Monday, December 21, 2009

Light Eating for Survival Blog Project

"Light Eating for Survival" Blog Project a la the movie Julie & Julia.
1 Year. 481 Recipes. 1 ambitious mama.
Days 18-37
Out of 481 recipes, I have officially made 61! That leaves 420 to go! This photo is a cashew salad with Apple Dream Dressing.

Here's a closer look.



This lentil soup. Reallllyy good.


1 cup sprouted lentils
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup parsley
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 tsp. basil
2 cups water
kelp to taste.
Blend!
I added salt to mine because I didn't have kelp. This is a tasty light soup.

I'm not sure which drink this is, but when I saw the beet juice float to the bottom and the apple and celery float to the top I had to take a picture :-).

I've made almost all of the vegetable juices. I haven't done the tomato juices yet, because I'm chicken. I never liked "V8" juice, and I'm scared I won't like the tomato juice, but I did like Green Blood. But I like tomato soup so...hmmm. I've made two-thirds of the fruit juices. Here's the juices I have made so far:
Green Leaf: celery greens, beet greens, turnip greens, watercress
Beet Treat: orange, beet, papaya
Cranberry Punch: cranberries, apple, orange
Cranapple: apple, cranberry, celery
Garden Cleanser: carrot, cucumber, beet
Constipation Blue: carrot, spinach
Potassium Juice: spinach, parsley, celery, carrot
Simple Punch: carrot, apple, beet
Alkalizing: cabbage, celery
Comforting: carrot, apple, comfrey
I've also made a fruit salad with cashew cream that was a hit. I have to make it again, because we ate it too fast! That will be next time!
Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Unknown said...

All of these look very yummy!

Once upon a time, I ran a day camp. One of our fun projects was juicing fruit and veggies. My partner and I knew, but the kids had no idea these yummy juices were going to go right through them! LOL

Let's just say we had some very "cleansed" kids after that! ;-)

Angelique said...

Hi Althea -- what kind of juicer do you use? One of the main reasons I don't juice much is because I see such huge chunks of whole food shooting out the back of my Breville (and if I try to put them back through, they shoot right out again). I probably need a better juicer -- what kind do you use?

Althea said...

@ Angelique: I use a Juiceman Jr.,
orginally created by Jay Kordich.
I bought it in 1999. If you get a new one, try his newest one Juicedaddy's Best Juicer. That is the one that I want.

Althea said...

http://www.juicedaddy.com/

Angelique said...

Thanks! I'll check it out.

AFRICANFAB said...

Hey Sis!! It's me Veggie Sistah from the 'ol School Vegetarian Soulfood MSN Group. Glad to see the blog!! This is beautiful!!

indigo yogini said...

Hi, Althea! I just discovered your blog...it's awesome.

I see you have answered the question about which juicer you used. I just purchased an Omega 8006, which is a masticating juicer (the Juiceman has a basket, I take it)and single gear. It works especially well with greens and is slow-moving, which means it doesn't oxidize the juice. I used to have a centrifugal juicer and my juice would separate. This juicer keeps everything pretty homogenized. I just wanted to let people know that there is a relatively affordable juicer ($299 on the Internet with free shipping)that has a 15-year warranty and is considered commerical quality.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails