Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Operation Gluten-Free and Chemical-Free

Raymond, the Chef

I've started a 2-week gluten-free experiment with my sons. I am also getting the chemicals out of our home and personal products as well. I haven't talked about my children much. If you've read this blog for a while, you know that my in-laws bring in the noise, bring in the funk. :-( I've focused on healing my feelings toward them.

But my sons have required help as well. Both of them are speech-delayed. They don't have Autism, but they fall under the category of Late Talkers. A good website, although still under construction, is http://www.latetalkers.org/. If anyone is interested in the work I've done with them, please email me at mochaangels@aol.com. In terms of food, they have been vegan since birth. But them more I change my diet, the more I've wanted to change theirs to a more whole-food diet, even if it is cooked, for now.

Jona, the Ham , on Day 3

I've read so much about either raw vegan diets and gluten-free diets helping children with speech and/or behavioral issues. A lot of these same children have gastrointestinal (GI) problems. Both of my sons do. Whenever they get sick, it's ALWAYS a stomach virus. They puke and poop at the same time. It's never pretty. Raymond suffers from constipation. And Jona is allergic to soymilk.


Ironically, the afternoon I started this, December 1st, I realized Jona had a stomach virus! No fooling. He fell asleep around 4:00pm. Raymond and I left the house. When I came back, Jona was still sleeping. Rom said he'd slept the entire time I was gone. On Day 2, Jona slept most of the day. By Day 3, with help from lots of juice and fruit bars, he was back to his usual energetic self. The irony was not lost on me. I took it as a sign that cleaning out the gluten is a good idea.

The Big Baddies


And the chemicals...we realized about three years ago that Raymond was allergic to “regular” laundry detergent. He was breaking out in bumps all over his back. We switched to chemical-free and dye-free detergent, and haven't had an issue since. The skin is the largest organ of the body. It's absorbs everything put on it. I've changed our dishwashing liquid, soaps, and lotions to all-natural; no chemicals, preservatives, nothing. I'm using olive oil and shea butter as moisturizers. Black soap and Nature's Gentle Power as soap, shampoo, and toothpaste.

The Good Stuff


I'm writing down everything they eat. I'm focused on clear liquids, fruit bars, and applesauce for Jona until his tummy is back to normal. But Raymond is eating normally. Since December 1st, he's had:
-apple/kale juice
-grapes
-pears
-bananas
-fruit bars (had to share :-)
-tahini mylkshake
-kale salad
-spinach salad
-baked sweet potatoes
-rice milk
-stir-fried veggies and tofu
-veggie sausage
-raisins
-water

Raymond had BM's two days in a row. For him, that is wonderful. The goal is one per day.
Jona woke up at 5:30 this morning and is jumping all over me, so I think it's time to go. I'll keep you all posted.

Love,
Althea


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Malicious Intent said...

What beautiful children you have! And I so admire you with the diet thing. Perhaps I can get some ideas from you here. My life is so chaotic (sometimes good, sometimes not so good) it is really hard to stay focused and eat while always on the run. It is a lovely night with my youngest to walk in, take our time, feel relaxed....oh and the wonderful conversation we had on the way home. You were a huge help tonight and I wanted to say Thank You!

Send me some pictures, or graphics (google is great) to help me design a header. Prefered colors help too. I keep seeing greens, yellows, light blue, white. Fresh, clean, breezy. Just first impressions. I love watching folks, reading about them and pegging a look they like. That is how I connect.

Thanks again. Jarod just went to bed and is still talking about his experience with you, holding his piece of yellow paper. :) Ya did good.

Enjoy my insanity, it is a ride. But I try to stay true to myself.

Namaste.
Cher
maliciousintently@yahoo.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails