Wednesday, October 15, 2008

(Mostly) Raw on The Cheap

Kale Salad

All is well
Everything is working out for my highest good
Out of this situation only good can come
I am safe
--Louise Hay

Sometimes you have to get knocked on your behind in order to be awakened. I think that's what happened when my sister-in-law got physical with me. I don't like to call it a fight because I never hit her; I defended myself. But I don't want to downplay its significance either. So I'll stick with "physical" or "altercation." That incident showed me how off-track I have been.

Life is supposed to be abundant in all areas: relationships, money, and health. I hadn't been raw because of financial reasons, and that frustrated me. It bites to know what can help me but not being able to afford it. So I came up with this idea of (Mostly) Raw On The Cheap. I can know a person can be (mostly) raw without breaking the bank. I say "mostly" because sometimes things will come out of a can. Not always. But sometimes canned can substitute for fresh. I promise the raw food police will not come after you :-).

I am on a mission. I own a lot of books. But what I did was go through the mounds of recipes I printed from the Internet. I put them in two categories: simple and not simple. Simple can be as easy as one ingredient to seven. But my definition of simplicity is the ease of ingredients and how long the dish takes to prepare.

The revelation came right after the first 84-days of my cleanse based on Queen Afua's Heal Thyself. This first phase did not go the way I expected, but a cleanse of sorts has happened.

If you've been reading this blog for a while, some of this stuff might be repeats. But as I share the recipes, I'll be linking to them on the right side of my blog, so they will always be around.

Kale Salad -- Adapted from The Joy of Living Live by Zakhah
The winner of winners. Your salad will disappear at every potluck.
1 bunch of kale greens
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons liquid aminos or 4 tablespoons soy sauce (not raw)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

Wash the greens. Put them in a tupperware bowl that has a top. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast on top the kale first. Add the garlic cloves, aminos or soy sauce, lemon juice squeezed straight from the lemon (watch those seeds), and olive oil. Put the top on your tupperware bowl. Shake like crazy. The success of this dish comes in all of the kale being coated evenly. Sometimes the yeast gets gloopy. So shake, do not stir or mix. Shake. Adjust the seasonings to your liking.
Mexicavo Salad
Mexicavo Salad -- Adapted from Incredibly Delicious by Gentle World Publications

Dressing:
1/4 cup raw (or not) apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
sea salt or liquid aminos to taste
1 clove garlic
dash of black pepper
1 teaspoon Spike seasoning
Blend all ingredients in a blender

Salad:
4 ears of corn or 1 can of corn

4 diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sweet onion
Romaine lettuce
Cubed avocados
1/2 cup fresh cilantro

Pour the dressing over the first four ingredients. Add the avocados and cilantro afterward becuase they get soggy otherwise. Awesome, awesome salad. The dressing is thebomb.com!!!

My new vision board
I did a vision board in 2006. This is the newest one. I took a picture of it while it sat on my kitchen table. It wasn't 100% finished, but here's the gist of it: me and my family, our friends, yoga, Michael Baisden (I want to be on his radio show), Cathy Hughes, owner of Radio One, Inc, bestelling, legendary books, a 2009 Saturn, the house we want to purchase, and salads and gardens. All of these things represent my values and intentions. I wrote my values first, then an intention list, then did the board. Your values and intentions should line up. The board is a visual representation of those two things. Email me your vision boards when you finish them!
Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails