Tuesday, July 6, 2010

1st Annual DC Raw Food Festival

Yes, the First Annual DC Raw Food Fest organized by Wanakhavi Wakhisi and SaMaa Claiborne was on June 6...and I'm just now blogging about it :-). It was SO much fun. Wanakhavi said about one hundred fifty people showed up. It would have been more but DC was hit with a massive thunderstorm that afternoon. The lights even when out for a moment. Outside of the rain, the event was a hit. It was nothing but love.

My husband Rom and our boys were there. The children ran around playing with each other enjoying themselves. The adults went around to each table sampling food. There were eleven vendors. My time was tight. I barely left my table, but when I did I sampled kale chips, banana ice cream, "cheese" crackers, and and "egg" salad and kale.

Khepra Anu of Mojo Juice Club prepared the egg salad and kale. It was the single best plate of raw food I have EVER eaten. Period. I've had a lot of tasty raw food. I became a Khepra fan in an instant. If you are in the DC area and can take one of his classes, do so. If not, get his DVDs. I wrote him and told him that his food was "perfection on a plate." I believe the egg salad was made from coconut meat. Think of the best egg salad, or even deviled eggs you've ever had, then imagine it silky. The kale salad was perfectly seasoned. I couldn't get over it. I wanted more, but Jona had to go to the bathroom. When I got back, Khepra was packing up. (Ugh!)
And in all my pictures, I have the same look on my face because I took off my glasses before the shot was taken. I can't see a thing without my glasses or contacts. I'm just trying not to squint!

This is me and Dana Smith-Rogers, founder of Spiritual Essence Yoga. She also auditioned for her own show on Oprah Winfrey Network. Her audition is here:
http://myown.oprah.com/audition/index.html?request=video_details&response_id=3649&promo_id=1

Everyone wanted the recipe to the Apple Crisp I served. Here it is!

Raw Apple Crisp Redux 2

8 apples cubed & peeled

½ cup agave nectar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch to ¼ teaspoon cardamom

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mix the spices together and pour over the apples. Let marinate for 2 hours to overnight.

Icing

4 cups of cashews

2 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 tablespoons agave nectar

Water JUST TO THE TOP of the cashews.

Blend until smooth. You want it creamy and THICK.

Top the apples with your favorite raw granola. Put the icing on top of that and you've got one heck of a dessert.

This is me with Marcy, one our Raw Mocha Angel readers. She is pictured with her husband Greg, and their children Hannah, Alston (14), John (12), Caleb (9). I was so happy to meet her in person. Thank you for the love Marcy and Greg!


Wanakhavi, the organizer. He is on a quest to be a raw vegan for one year. He began his journey on January 1st. He says he's lost 25 pounds and feels amazing.

Me and Ms. Kiona Cloud. Love her energy.


Me, Jessica, Monica, and their sons.

Me, Raymond, and D'ana. She is the one who told me about the event and got me in touch with Wanakhavi. Thank you! I can't wait until next years event!

Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Khepra said...

Thank you Althea for the kind words. I almost didn't attend because of schedule conflict. Wanakavi and Samaa did fantastic job, and I was really happy to be a part of it. I also look forward to next year's festival. Hopefully it will be outdoors??? :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails