Friday, July 9, 2010

Three Inspiring People

Lately I've read about people who have completely transformed their lives, or are doing some out-of-box things to change themselves.

Still from May I Be Frank?


My mother sent me a link to a documentary called "May I Be Frank." Even though I've only watched the trailers, I was so moved, I shared it on my Facebook page. Now I am sharing with you all. If you are moved, please pass around to your friends, and see if you can get the movie screened in your city.
 
Movie Synopsis from the May I Be Frank website:

May I Be Frank chronicles the transformation of Frank Ferrante’s life. Frank is 54 years old, obese, depressed, and addicted. He stumbles into a local raw, organic and vegan restaurant in San Francisco, Café Gratitude. When Ryland, a server at Café Gratitude asks Frank “What is one thing you want to do before you die?” Frank replies, “I want to fall in love one more time, but no one will love me looking the way I do."

Ryland, his brother Cary, and Conor, his best friend, are inspired by the possibility of helping Frank. For the next 42 days, Frank will eat only raw food, practice gratitude, visit local holistic practitioners, and get a weekly colonic. Ryland, Conor, and Cary get to support Frank’s miraculous transformation. Frank gets a new body, a clearer mind, and most importantly, a soaring spirit. May I Be Frank documents the essence of the human condition and what it truly means to fall in love again.


Amanda, Rory, and Isabel

I learned about Amanda's Live My Life NOW Trek through her husband Raw Dawg Rory's website. Amanda is walking across the United States. Why? Here's what she had to say:

I’m waiting. The wait is getting longer and longer. I entertain myself with human interest stories, “what not to wear” celebrities and watching everyone else move on. My moment never happens and I realize it’s because I am waiting, waiting for something that could never happen as my life passes me by.

This is what I was thinking at 3 a.m. as I stared at my sleeping husband and felt badly for myself. Then I got a little tinge of excitement, my new Wii workout game was coming in the mail soon! I couldn’t wait to play it. Until I realized that I’ve done this before, I’ve been excited over a workout, game, or something else that will change my life, but I will never stick with it.



I eat healthy, I exercise, and I barely see any changes in my body, so I give up, lie around pitying myself, and go on dreaming that someday I will lose weight and reach my goal.



But my goal was never just to lose weight. I have a reason to lose weight. I’ve always imagined myself as a runner, getting up at 5 a.m., heading out to the park, and running a few miles before I have to be in at work. I would feel good for the rest of the day, awake and excited, and I would be healthy and active.



But what I realized that night was that I really don’t understand why I have to lose the weight before I can live my life. What’s so wrong with being fat? I eat healthy, I exercise (I could do more) and I have no other health concerns. Why should I have to watch each year of my life fly by while I sit around wishing for “someday”?



This was when I made the decision. I was going to do what I have always wanted to do. I’m not going to give up; I’m not going to give in. This is my one last chance and I am not going to let it pass me by. I am going to Trek Across America.

Amanda and her family changed their route and are taking a more southern route across the country. They need donations and sponsors. If interested, please visit her website at: http://www.livemylifenowtrek.com/index.html

Shelley

Shelley Abegg is a ten-year cancer survivor and creator of Raw Food Art. Although Shelley has made it clear that raw food healed her breast cancer, she's never discussed the journey. Yesterday, she began blogging about it. She will turn the blog into a book. But for now you can sign up and read her journey for free.

Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails