Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes


Raw Vegan Cupcakes, anyone?
This not a review, as I have only made these Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Cupcake Heaven by Natalia KW only once. I will continue to play around with Natalia's book a few more times.
But I was so scared make these! I was intrigued, yet slightly skeptical. I love raw desserts, even though I hadn't made anything in a good long while. My raw cake experience has just been 'okay.' Not fantastic, bad, or great, just okay. Mimicking cooked dough isn't easy.


But looking at Natalia's photos (repeatedly) and the Amazon.com reviews, I said, "Okay, what the heck." I ordered Coconut Secret Coconut Flour, which Natalia recommends. A few days later, I gave it a go.
Her cupcakes all have a fruit and coconut flour base. When I tasted the apple base (the 'wet ingredients' in baked goods lingo), I said, "She's on to something here." But the issue was that I didn't have enough coconut oil. I plowed ahead anyway.
I mixed the flour into the wet ingredients in my food processor. Once finished, it actually looked and tasted like dough. But because I didn't have enough coconut oil, the dough was crumbly, as you can see from the photos. But it was tasty. I'll even dare say 'great.' And Rom and Raymond asked me for more.


I couldn't take the wrappers off because the cupcakes would have fallen apart. But that's on me, not Natalia. I will make these again when I buy more coconut oil. Using the regular amount of ingredients yields 12 cupcakes. I cut the recipe in half, and I made nine of them.

So I'll be back with a chocolate version. :-)

Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Candice said...

Those look great! I usually avoid making a lot of raw cakes and cookies, because my younger daughter is allergic to nuts and they're usually nut based. But if I can use the coconut flour, and maybe some seeds to substitute where nuts are called for, I might be able to pull it off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails