Saturday, February 4, 2012

Raymond's Cupcakes


Raymond made me cupcakes a few weeks ago. Mind you, this was a spontaneous and true surprise. I was upstairs getting dressed. Raymond runs upstairs, "I made you cupcakes!"
I come down to see this mound of flour, sugar, and coconut flakes in paper cupcake liners. At first, I was annoyed. I won't lie. My first instinct, was "What the hell?" Then I QUICKLY course-corrected myself. Raymond loves to help me in the kitchen. I chose to encourage him, rather than say, "Dude, you used up all my coconut flakes." (Just being real. We moms have to watch what we say to our kids.)

Instead, I said, "Okay, let's add a few things so that your cupcakes can rise in the oven." I had no idea if it would work, but I added a touch of baking soda, baking powder, and salt. We put them in the oven for 10 minutes.

I go back upstairs. Ten minutes have surely passed, but I never hear the oven beep! I come back downstairs, and my man has taken the cupcakes out of the oven, AND, get this, made a chocolate sauce from scratch!

Again, I'm annoyed because Raymond took cupcakes out of a 350 degree oven. But I'm impressed because he made the sauce. From chocolate powder and honey, by the way. I say, "I'm proud of you, but please do not take anything out of the oven or use the stove without adult supervision."
I said, "Do you want me to help you make cupcakes next time?"
Response: "No, but next time you can take the cupcakes out of the oven."

HA!

But check this out: They were not only edible, they were kind of good! Rom and I were like, "These are actually good!" They had flavor :-).


As an aside, Raymond has wanted to be a chef since he was five years old. I took this picture of him in 2007. My baby may grow up be a world famous chef!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails