Monday, November 19, 2007

Living my best life

My first blog posting ever! I was encouraged my Heidi and Justin's Raw Food, Right Now blog to do this for myself.

Let me introduce myself: my name is Althea. I am 35 years old, and live in Maryland. I am a wife, mother, professional intuitive, published novelist, and yoga teacher. This blog is primarily about my staying on the raw vegan path of eating. Other things like metaphysics and my books may be discussed, but I will keep them in relation to being a raw vegan.

I am wife to Rom Wills, author of the international bestseller Nice Guys and Players, Becoming The Man Women Want. It's a wonderful self-help book for men. (I have to tell you all something funny...I told a married friend of mine, "the book is for guys who aren't gettin' any." She said, "oh, then I need to give that book to my husband!" I swear, I laughed for hours afterward.) Okay, back to my story :-).

We have two sons, ages 2 and 5. We also care for disabled relatives. My path to becoming a raw vegan is very long one. I was born into a classic soul food eating family in Detroit, Michigan. We had meat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. My favorite snack growing up was tuna fish and cheese on a Ritz cracker.

Between the ages of eleven and twenty-one, I suffered from horrible menstrual cramps. I credit that monthly horror for putting me on this path. Every month, for seven to eight days, I would be in agony. I searched high and low for answers. I missed school and work because I couldn't bear to leave my bed. There were days I could barely walk, the pain would be running down my thighs. Finally, in 1993, at the age of twenty-one, I read a book called, "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Christiane Northrup, M.D. She mentioned how uric acid in meat could affect women's hormones and could affect menstrual cramps. FINALLY!

I'd had to leave work just the week before. I laid in bed with a migraine and suffered the worst pain of my life. Menstrual cramps are no joke. Nothing, until I was in labor with my children, could even compare to the pain. I felt like Dr. Northrup had given me my answer. I stopped eating meat and dairy at the end of that menstrual cycle. No animal products for thirty days (between cycles). When my next cycle rolled around, it lasted for 3 days, was light, and pain-free.

I'd found my answer.

From then, I'd been vegetarian off and on until 2004. My cycle always let me know when my body needed some cleansing. I have so much to say about all of this, which is why I started a blog!

So why raw vegan? I'd read Victoria Boutenko's "12 steps to raw" in 2004. I went raw for a week. Oh my God. Nothing but bliss. I went raw again in December 2006 for The Yabba Pot's Raw Challenge. Again, I had massive energy. So now I am back. Why? Because I want to live my best life. I've got books, yahoo groups, a supportive husband, so what excuse do I have? None.

So I created a mission statement that I put on my refrigerator: "I am a raw vegan so that I can life to my highest potential and be mentally, spiritually, and emotionally present for my family and friends." As a side note, I want to lose 25 pounds and fit into my wedding dress again. I want to get back to being fit and active.

Thank you for coming on this journey with me. ◦
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails