Monday, October 12, 2009

Light Eating for Survival Blog Project

"Light Eating for Survival" Blog Project a la the movie Julie & Julia.
1 Year. 481 Recipes. 1 ambitious mama.
Days 12, 13, and 14.


I'm scrolling through the comments posted on my blog, and what do I see? Marcia Acciardo, the AUTHOR of Light Eating for Survival left me the sweetest comment. I'm in tears!

I finally got to see Julia and Julie last night, Althea. It was doubly sweet because of your terrific blog on my book, and because I had met Julia and her husband when we both appeared on a live television show in NYC. Meryl Streep has done an amazingly accurate portrayal of one of the most gracious and unpretentious of people, whom absolutely adored all kinds of foods and cooking, and kindly requested a copy of Light Eating For Survival.

Thank you, Marcia for being so kind and generous enough to let me spread the message about your book to the world.

Let's get to the food! Today I bring you frozen treats and smoothies! Banana Split

When you have a hankerin' for ice cream, whipping up a banana split is easy, if you already have frozen bananas in your freezer. Wait until the bananas have black spots before freezing. I put mine in the freezer with the peels on, but you can peel and put them in a storage bag. I run my bananas under hot water until the peel comes off easily. For this recipe, all you need are:

3 frozen bananas
½ cup ground almonds
Water to whip
1 tablespoon currants or strawberries

Run the bananas through a juicer (like a Champion juicer. I used a food processor). Whip the almonds and a little water to make a topping for the ice cream. Top with fruit. Delicious!

Papaya Sherbert

½ papaya
½ banana
1 slice pineapple
1-2 oranges juiced
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Mix in the blender until smooth. Pour into a tray and chill in the freezer until hard. Luscious.


Frozen Sherbert

Mix peaches, strawberries, pears, and seedless grapes, enough apple juice to blend together in a blender, and freeze. For creamier ice cream, blend again. Freeze.

I followed the directions to the letter. It tastes phenomenal. The only thing I would do different is acerate it (stir it) every 1-2 hours to keep it from being block-like. But the taste…Raymond asked for this for breakfast. Ice cream to him. Frozen fruit to me. Of course he could have it for breakfast!


Orange Smoothie
8 oz. orange juice
1 banana
½ cup blueberries, strawberries or peaches
I used peaches, and it tasted great.
Apple Smoothie
8 oz. apple juice
1 banana
½ cup blueberries, strawberries or peaches
I used strawberries. Again, another simple, easy drink that anyone would love.
Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails