Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sesame Ginger Sauce and Produce Bargins

I got all of this produce for SEVEN DOLLARS at a farm near my house. I've been touting the benefits of overripe produce, or seconds, as they are called, for some time now. I go to my county farms looking for seconds. You rarely find these at the grocery store, with the exception of overripe bananas, which I have seen marked down at regular stores in Maryland.

The price of everything is going up. Getting produce can be difficult. If you have any farmers markets or farms within a 10 to 20 mile radius of your home, find them. Most of them have websites. Call them regularly in the late morning after they've had time to go through their daily produce. They will mark down the seconds and display them prominently.

Yesterday, I got all of that produce because they know my face. I called around 10:00am and asked if they had any seconds. The apples were five dollars. The tomatoes were two dollars. They gave me everything else FOR FREE. Karen (that's the woman who helped me) said they couldn't sell the lemons, pears, tangerines, and bananas at regular price and she was happy to know the food was going to good use. They won't do that at your typical grocery store chain. And you'll be supporting local farmers while you're at it!




Collard Wrap
On May 25th, I had:
Matt Juice
2 apples
kale salad
lettuce, cilantro, tomato, avocado in nori roll
water w/ lemon

Broccoli and Snow Peas with Sesame-Ginger Sauce
On May 26th, I had:
water w/ lemon
tahini shake
collard wrap: lettuce, cilantro, tomato, and avocado
tomatoes
coconut, tangerine, pear, banana smoothie
Broccoli and snow peas with sesame ginger sauce

This Sesame-Ginger Sauce is adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
6 tablespoons sesame oil
6 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 to 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (this is hot!)
2 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
4 garlic cloves
Mix everything well. Pour over your vegetables. They can be whatever veggies you want. The longer they marinate, the better it will taste. People at work could smell the sauce. They all said it smelled great (even though I could not smell anything.)
That's it for tonight! See you all next time :-).
Love,
Althea

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

ChocolateOrchid said...

Awesome! That is such a blessing!
Btw, the food looks awesome. Especially that collard wrap.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails