Monday, December 13, 2010

Tahini-Mustard Dressing


I made a Tahini-Mustard dressing from 30-Minute Vegan. I didn't like it at all. In fairness, this was made with raw tahini, which is nothing but ground sesame seeds. I don't even like homemade sesame seed milk without adding a sweetner. Since I'd made so much dressing, I couldn't let it go. I had to doctor it up a bit.

I thought to make it like Annie's Goddess Dressing. For the life of me, I could not remember the ingredients, but I knew the taste. It didn't occur to me to look up the ingredients (like I did just now!).

Here's the original Tahini-Mustard recipe:
1/2 cup tahini
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used wheat-free tamari)
1/2 cup water or more depending on consistency of tahini
Blend

To that I added:
honey (1-2 tablespoons, sorry I didn't measure)
more apple cider vinegar
about a teaspoon of salt
Blended again. It could have used more honey, but it definitely reminded me of this:



INGREDIENTS: *EXPELLER PRESSED VEGETABLE OIL (*CANOLA, *SOY, AND/OR *SUNFLOWER), WATER, *TAHINI, *APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, *SOY SAUCE (WATER, *SOYBEAN, SALT, *WHEAT, *ALCOHOL), *LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, SEA SALT, *GARLIC, *TOASTED SESAME SEEDS, *PARSLEY, *CHIVES, XANTHAN GUM.*ORGANIC INGREDIENTS.


Mine is oil-free and gluten-free which works for me. Try it and play around with the seasonings and let me know how turns out!


And here's the dressing on romaine lettuce.

One thing I have noticed with raw is that you must eat enough food. The more you eat raw, the less you naturally want to eat. I believe it's because raw food is so nutrient dense. This was my breakfast this morning.

The other two items are carrot tuna and Asian Spinach Salad.
Carrot tuna is just carrot pulp, leftover from juicing. I added sweet relish and Veganaise.

The salad recipe is from The Joy of Living Live by Zahkah:
1 bunch spinach
1/4 cup cold pressed sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons maple syrup, agave, or honey
2 tablespoons liquid aminos, or tamari
wash the spinach, remove stems, and chop. Mix ingredients and serve.

Enjoy!
Love,
Althea
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl, sounding like me in the kitchen going for a taste. Thank goodness for knowing how to "doctor" something up. Ever so often those occasions will pop up where you try a recipe and simply just don't like it. These are also the golden opportunities to turn someone else's recipe into your own. Keep up the good work, never know what's "un-cookin" in your kitchen. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails